Contact Information

Gaston Sprinkler Inc.

3037 Cloninger Rd
Dallas, NC, 28034

Phone: 704-922-7805

Business Hours:
24 Hours Emergency

We accept Cash.We accept Check.

Fire Hazards

fire protection equipmentMost residential fires are most commonly caused by simple human mistakes. Fires are more likely to happen in the evening, when families are home. It’s impossible to be 100% certain your home will not catch fire, but there are plenty of simple changes and preparations that can be done to reduce the odds. Look over our list of the most common causes of residential fires below to be aware of residential fire hazards. We also provide tips so you can see what your family needs to do to safeguard against a devastating fire.

Distractions in the Kitchen

Cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires in the U.S. Why? Because people get distracted while cooking, stop to talk with guests, answer the phone, you name it. But it only takes a minute for food to overheat, boil over and spread a fast-moving grease fire.

Never leave cooking food on the stovetop or inside the oven unattended. Keep cooking areas free of potholders, rags, curtains, food packaging and other items that can fuel fire.

Create a three-foot kid-free zone around your stove—and keep pets away too.

Electrical Fires

From the mid-1960s to mid-1970s, many homes across the U.S. were built or repaired with aluminum wiring. Aluminum and copper expand and contract at different rates, which can cause loose connections. A fire may start when a loose connection causes a spark.

Have an electrician inspect and tighten any loose connections once a year—don’t do this yourself. Thanks to new infrared scanners used to detect heat build-up, this is an easy and often inexpensive home maintenance chore.

Fireplaces and Chimneys

Out of sight, out of mind is true for most homeowners with fireplaces and chimneys. But creosote and smoke coat the inside of the chimney, creating plenty of fuel for fires. All it takes is one spark to touch this heavy build-up to cause a fire.

  • Have a chimney sweep clean your chimney every year.
  • Remember to open your flue for the first fire of the season.
  • Install a spark arrester—a mesh screen—on the top of your chimney to keep sparks from igniting your roof or debris outside your house.

Central Heating

When the first cold weather of the season hits, fire departments brace for an increase in home fires—they know how many people put off routine home heating maintenance. They also know that heating systems are the leading causes of fires in December, January and February.

Have your heating system, whether it’s gas or oil, serviced once a year—well before the winter’s cold weather begins. Schedule the service by Labor Day and you’ll have it done in plenty of time.

Kerosene Space Heaters

Although space heater safety has improved since the 1970s, these portable devices used to heat one room or save money on heating bills are still dangerous if you don’t know how to properly use them.

Always pour in the kerosene outside. Kerosene vapors are heavier than air, which means they could flow along the floor of your house and ignite when reaching an ignition source. Keep all space heaters a minimum of four feet away from any combustibles—curtains, furniture, rugs, etc.

Always turn it off when you leave the house or go to bed.

Smoking

As you probably realize, many people still smoke. Smoking materials, in fact, are the leading cause of death in fire. That’s because many smokers fall asleep while smoking and cigarettes, cigars, matches and lighters can ignite bedding or furniture. As in all fires, the toxic gases given off by the fire will cause death long before the flames reach you.

  • Don't allow smoking in your house. And if someone smokes outside your house, check for smoldering butts, especially during dry summertime weather.
  • Check couch cushions for still-burning cigarette butts, particularly after a party.
  • Never smoke in bed, especially when drowsy, medicated or intoxicated.

Wildfires

Most people think that a wildfire can’t happen to them. The truth is that a wildfire will happen wherever conditions are ripe for it—during dry, drought-plagued summers, for example. The difference is that people who live in the Western U.S. are used to them and know what prevention measures to take.

  • Remove dead or dying trees and shrubs.
  • Keep dry brush and debris at least 30 feet away from your house.
  • Keep your grass cut short.
  • Clear your roof, gutters and eaves of debris.

Children

Children are naturally curious and that can be good and bad. There have been numerous cases where children have saved their parents from fire. On the other hand, children have also been known to start fires accidentally. And when that happens, many kids get scared and won’t tell anyone.

Teach children never to play with matches. Begin talking about fire safety with children as young as three.

Tell children never to hide during a fire so firefighters can find and rescue them. Plan and practice a family escape plan so every family member knows two ways out and a designated meeting place.

Candles

A walk around your local mall shows just how popular candles have become. Teenagers are especially fond of them. And as the popularity of candles has risen, so has the number of candle fires.

  • Never leave candles unattended—extinguish them when you leave the room or go to bed.
  • Stop using candles once they have an inch left—the remaining wax is likely to melt and allow the wick to fall outside the candle holder and ignite a fire.
  • Use sturdy candle holders that are unlikely to tip over.

Extension Cords

Chances are, you can’t remember when you bought that extension cord you're using. And did you know that extension cords must be rated for intended use? That means that while the cord is fine for your electric fan, it might not work safely with your home computer.

  • If a cord is frayed or feels warm, throw it away.
  • If you're using an extension cord for longer than two weeks, consider having an electrician re-do some wiring instead.
  • Never use an extension cord for heavy-duty appliances such as washers, dryers or dishwashers.